Decorated Windows : Beach Theme Decorating Ideas : Primitive Sheep Decor.
- (decorate) deck: be beautiful to look at; "Flowers adorned the tables everywhere"
- adorned: provided with something intended to increase its beauty or distinction
- Denoting a stage of English Gothic church architecture typical of the 14th century (between Early English and Perpendicular), with increasing use of decoration and geometric, curvilinear, and reticulated tracery
- (decorate) make more attractive by adding ornament, colour, etc.; "Decorate the room for the party"; "beautify yourself for the special day"
- (window) a transparent opening in a vehicle that allow vision out of the sides or back; usually is capable of being opened
- A computer operating system with a graphical user interface
- (trademark) an operating system with a graphical user interface
- (window) a framework of wood or metal that contains a glass windowpane and is built into a wall or roof to admit light or air
Decorated Window C14th
Detail from a window in the same Worcestershire Church. This one's a little younger than some of the other imagery in the same church and shows more geometric patterns and in different tones.
Decorate Window @ The American Book Center in Amsterdam
This window will be there until mid July so I hope that you will go see what I made!
bear nursery decor
home bar decoration
marilyn monroe decor
fall wedding table decor
wall decorations living room
laundry room decor
cowboy bath decor
decorative accessories from
theme cake decorations
decorate bay window
- Category: None
Decorative iron bracket : How to decorate your office at work.
Decorative Iron Bracket
- Relating to decoration
- Serving to make something look more attractive; ornamental
- cosmetic: serving an esthetic rather than a useful purpose; "cosmetic fenders on cars"; "the buildings were utilitarian rather than decorative"
- Each of a pair of marks [ ] used to enclose words or figures so as to separate them from the context
- A category of people or things that are similar or fall between specified limits
- a category falling within certain defined limits
- either of two punctuation marks (`<' or `>') used in computer programming and sometimes used to enclose textual material
- A right-angled support attached to and projecting from a wall for holding a shelf, lamp, or other object
- a heavy ductile magnetic metallic element; is silver-white in pure form but readily rusts; used in construction and tools and armament; plays a role in the transport of oxygen by the blood
- Smooth (clothes, sheets, etc.) with an iron
- press and smooth with a heated iron; "press your shirts"; "she stood there ironing"
Adjustable Cast Iron Bracket
This White Adjustable Cast Iron Bracket is made with extra-durability to last through all your seasons. High quality and made to adjust to your exact position. Easy installation and easier to adjust.
Make an impression! These long lasting and durable brackets strongly hold our flag poles sturdily in place. Created with the highest quality materials to easily use with your flag pole. Not only are they easy to use, but they're made to last and last. Sure to hang your flag proudly in front of your home for month after long-lasting month.
Former Lord & Taylor Building
Gramercy, Manhattan, New York City, New York
DESCRIPTION AND ANALYSIS
One of the most Impressive stores In the late 19th-century shopping district known as "The Ladies' Mile ",the former Lord & Taylor building stands at the southwest corner of Broadway and 20th Street and, with Its picturesque corner tower, still dominates Its site today. Handsomely designed In the French Second Empire style by the architect James H. Giles, the store was constructed with the most up-to-date materials of the time, cast iron and glass , and hailed as strikingly modern and elegant when, it was completed in 1870.
The prestigious firm of Lord 4 Taylor began as a small drygoods store In lower Manhattan in the early 19th century. Samuel Lord was born in Saddleworth, England, and worked In an iron foundry there owned by James Taylor.
At the age of 21, Lord married Taylor's daughter, Mary, and shortly afterward the couple emigrated to America. In 1826, Lord opened a drygoods store at 47 Catherine Street and soon made his wife's cousin, George Washington Taylor, his partner in the new venture. The store was an Immediate success and In 1832 the firm moved to more spacious quarters on Catherine Street. The prosperity of the Lord & Taylor store enabled Samuel Lord to purchase an extensive country estate in the village of Newtown; now Elmhurst, Queens. Lord lived there with his wife and eight children and, by constantly adding to his property, even* tually became one of the largest land owners in the area. One of his many building projects In Newtown was Clermont Terrace, a row of residences erected near his estate; one of these houses still stands today.
While Samuel Lord managed the selling and buying for the firm, his partner, George Taylor (1802-79) handled the financial matters. Taylor was credited with having a special talent "for figures and could carry the whole business of the young firm to a penny In his memory" (New York Times, March 25, 1879). After having amassed a considerable fortune, Taylor retired to Manchester, England In the 1850s, where during his latter years, he reputedly made It a practice to donate one quarter of his Income to charity.
The extremely successful firm of Lord & Taylor continued to expand and in 1853 moved to a larger store at Grand and Chrystie Streets. This new building, the third In the history of Lord & Taylor stores, was skillfully designed with a large central rotunda crowned by a dome. Soon, however, this space also proved too small and another, "branch" of the store was opened at Grand Street and Broadway In 1860. The rapidly expanding business of the firm led Samuel Lord to take In two new partners — his oldest son, John T. Lord, and John S. Lyle, who had been the first errand boy to work in the store. In 1866, Samuel Lord retired to his native England, where he delighted In his hobby of horticulture.
At his death, Lord left a fortune of nine million dollars. »
As the development of Manhattan extended northward during the second half of the 19th> century, the commercial center also moved uptown and the area between 8th and 23rd Streets, Broadway and Sixth Avenge gradually became the principal shopping district. Beginning in the 1860s, a number of the finest department stores in the city moved to Broadway, In this newly fashionable section which was soon to be known as "The Ladies' Mile." One of the first to move northward was the A.T. Stewart store, erected in 1862, which stood at Broadway and 10th Street.
A few years later, In 1868, construction began on the massive Arnold, Constable & Co. store, which still stands today at the southwest corner of
Broadway and 19th Street. The next year, in keeping with the northward shift in commercial activity, the new Lord & Taylor store was begun across the street. Designed on a grand scale in the most striking architectural styles, these new stores, many of cast Iron, were the work of the city's most prominent architects. Eventually all of the most important retail firms In the city, including B. Altman's, Macy's, W. & J. Sloane and Siegel-Cooper & Co. owned impressive emporiums in this district.
The Lord & Taylor store, which originally extended 83 feet along Broadway, was widely acclaimed as Its opening in 1870 and its modern design was praised by the New York Times (Nov. 27, 1870): "It Is wholly of Iron and exhibits better, perhaps, than any previous attempt the capacity of iron for effects of its own In building."
Cast Iron was an extremely popular architectural material during the second half of the 19th century and was particularly suited to the needs of a commercial building. It had been used In New York City as early as the 1840s, when the famed Inventor, James Bogardus, experimented with the material and advanced the use of Iron for structural supporting systems. The Architectural Iron Works of Daniel D. Badger greatly popularized the use of c
Liverpool Railway Station c.1880
On the 1st September 1856 the railway line from Granville to Liverpool opened with a small two storey brick building serving as the railway station. Due to increasing railway activity in the intervening years by 1879 plans were developed for an upgrade of the railway line and the construction of a new station building. The present station building was constructed at this time probably achieving completion in 1880.
It is a single storey Victorian Italianate style building constructed of tuck-pointed Flemish bond brickwork, designed by the Deputy Engineer-in-Chief, William Mason. It has a main slate gabled roof with a projecting transverse gable and bay windows facing Bigge Street. All gables on the building have decorative timber bargeboards, finials and a decorative vent. There are two skillion under a corrugated iron roof supported on timber posts with decorative cast iron brackets and frieze panels. It has three chimneys with brick strapwork and corbels, rendered mouldings on windows and door openings and rendered quoins on its corners.
The building is representative of the style of railway buildings from this period and is one of only two examples remaining in NSW. It represents the character of railway development during the late 19th century.
ikea decorating ideas
beach cottage decorating ideas
decor for table
cheap kids room decor
decorative window grates
decorative metal straps
horse themed decor
adhesive wall decorations
quinceanera table decorations
chili pepper wall decor
- Category: None